Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

The Day in the Life. . . Begins

Here it is. . . the thoughts of a coach. . . my goal is to give you an inside look at some of the things that a coach thinks about as a season comes and goes and to keep you informed of the Pelican Rapids Viking girls' basketball team.

I will strive to keep it "real".

REOCCURING THOUGHTS

The Viking's 2005-06 campaign was a struggle in many areas: For the first time in my tenure we failed to win at least 15 games. The fact that the win total just barely escaped the shell of the "goose egg" really weighed heavy on my confidence as a coach.

There are few bright spots to fall back on when experiencing a "1 win" season but there are so many lessons to be learned if a person would step back and evaluate where the doer of deeds could have done better. There are many areas of last season that I wish I could change and I take a lot of the blame for the struggles we had off the court but I am not going to dwell on the past. The plan is to learn from what happened and work hard to improve the product we put on the court this year.

We did have a handful of girls who took advantage of the off-season work-outs that were offered to them this past summer. Hopefully, the girls are as eager as I am to become a better team this season.

Off-season work is such a huge key in today's sports world. Not only do you improve as a player but the harder you work the harder it is for you to give up! To have a successful program you need to have players that are willing to sacrifice and work hard.

Unfortunately, we still do not have the level of commitment to success that the boy's program is experiencing. We still do not have the players who are coming in, on their own, to work on their game. That level of desire to be the best is still lacking but I am not giving up hope that one day there will be a group of girls that goes for the gold!!!

Some of you may think that boys will always be willing to work harder than girls to achieve success but that is a sports' legend. A few years back we had groups of girls that just loved playing hoops. They ate it up. . . they were in the gym more than the boys and they were good.

As it is, I am happy with the small steps that are being made. . . Increasing that “eagerness” to be the best that they can be and developing that “love of the game” that makes practicing fun is constant challenge for me. . . As long as I am the head coach this will continue to be my number priority. . . it is the key for all success!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?