Saturday, December 16, 2006

 

Concerned Parent

I received an email from a parent about our b-team situation and what will happen if we take the 8th graders away.

I totally understand where this parent was coming from. I really wish things were better right now. . .

I wish our 9th graders could just play 9th grade ball and that there would be at least ten or more that wanted to "Dream Big and Work to WIN" when it comes to hoops.

I wish we had more sophomores with the same desire as the four we have.

I wish we had 8 to 10 talented junior and senior players on varsity, instead of five. This would allow all of our sophomores to develop their skills at the b-team level before having to be thrown into the fire as two of them are this year and as these two were last year as freshmen. . .(by the way. . .Haley and Chelsea are developing into very good ball players even after losing 24 games on varsity last year.)

No amount of wishing is going to change our situation so I thought I would share my response to this parent as a general "shout-out" to all parents with concern.

---------------------
Dear Parent:

We are definitely in a tough situation with our numbers right now.

I had pulled the 8th graders up to b-team to see if they could compete at this level and although I like what I see in their athletic ability I feel that they are a bit over their heads.

This has forced a tough decision on my part. . . I know that taking the 8th graders out of the equation is going to hurt the b-team as it is right now. . . and I know that the only 9th grader that is really ready to play b-team is Kendra Coleman. But, for the future of the program, I think this move needs to happen.

Here is our projected b-team after xmas break:

Ann Ouren
Emma Strand
Kendra Coleman
Michaela Gray
Abby Fiest
Alejandra Saavedra

Most likely we will be adding Seirra Nordick to the b-team as she has expressed interest in getting in some "game time" but more importantly I feel that Haley Hoyer and Chelsea Bjerke may also rejoin the team once everyone is healthy at the varsity level. I think they can handle 3 halves of basketball on most nights.

My main concern. . . keep the players that are on b-squad focused on the possibilities of playing on a solid varisity team in the future. The B-team situation will be frustrating for the girls but I am going to work hard to ensure that these girls understand why things are the way they are and how what is ultimately important for these girls is that they continue to improve as individuals so that when the time comes for them to shine they will be ready.

Anything you can do to help your daughter through these tough times. . . to keep her spirits bright. . .the greater my appreciation will be to you.

Thanks for your concern,

Doug Bruggeman





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?