Friday, December 01, 2006

 

Game Day Thoughts


The 7th graders lost a close contest to LPA last-night as did the 8th graders. Both teams have shown that they can compete with anyone. I believe if they are "eager" to improve, our program offers the opportunity for them to make more improvements than most teams in the area. If they chose to accept this mission the result could be that this group becomes a powerful force in the Heart O' Lakes conference and in Section 8AA!

"Dream BIG" girls! Dream BIG!

On the down side. . .Ashley Morgan(8th Grader) broke her arm in their loss to Frazee earlier in the week. . . When it rains it pours for the eighth graders this year. Start out with only four players, Taylor Larson breaks her pinky finger, lose one close game after another, and now another girl goes down. If these girls come out of this situation with the desire to be the best they can be and with an eagerness to work hard on their skills. . . they truly are the "FANTASTIC 4 +1". They are going through experiences right now, that really are a big part of life in general. . .overcoming the roadblocks and obstacles that enter your life! Kick in the four wheel drive girls and put the pedal to the metal!!!

Ok. . .Game Day. . . I'm excited and nervous for tonight's game. I'm excited for the girls to find out where they are as a team. They have had three great weeks of practice and I feel the level of play that this group is showing in practice is a step up from last year. My fear? The attitude of the girls has been so FANTASTIC. . . I don't want them to be discouraged if we happen to end up losing a game. The commitment that these girls have been showing towards being their best has been fun and I want that to continue. I would rest easy and be the proudest coach in the area if you could guarantee me that these girls will continue to give it all until March!

Our goal tonight is not to win the game. . . our success is going to be measured in a lot of different areas:

Rebounding
Turnovers
Shooting Percentage
Hustle & Effort
Demonstrating a Belief in Success
Showing Determination instead of Frustration
Taking a step towards improvement

We will focus on the above areas and let the winning or losing take care of itself. I have made a commitment to be a leader in the area of determination instead of frustration. (I feel I failed as a coach in that department last year) I am determined not to allow myself to give nothing but my best effort to this group. I am also determined to accept nothing less than that from the girls I coach.

"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?