Friday, January 12, 2007

 

MVP (Most Valuable Parent)


Reading my Sports Illustrated(Dec. 25, 2006 - Jan. 1 2007) this past week I came across an advertising feature called "A Playbook for Parenting".

The article was called "Kids Need Professional Fans" and it was written by Cris Collingsworth. Collingsworth was a proffesional football player who played eight seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals and went to two superbowls. He is the father of four and is now an award winning commentator.

He starts out his article by relaying advice his father-in-law once gave him. He calls it the best advice that anyone could offer a parent and I totally agree! Here is what his father-in-law said to him:

"You know those golf clubs you have? Stick 'em in the closet. They'll still be good by the time your last child goes off to college."

The point. . . "As long as your kids are living in your house, they should be your No. 1 priority!"

Collingsworth sums up the reasons why you want to make your kids your top priority. He states. . ."When parents act like their child is number one, the child learns that their pursuits in life - whether it's schoolwork, cheerleading, a dance reciteal or a ballgame - really matter, and they learn to truly devote themselves to what they love."

I love stuff like this. I think it is important for a person to seek out and read, listen to and/or watch self improvement type information.

I love listening to motivational messages. . . I read a lot of articles on basketball coaching. . . I watch a lot of programs on the History Channel. . . and I even read articles in Good Housekeeping on topics that range from cooking to how to get a stain out of the bathroom tub.

I'm sure a lot of you do the same. However, if you are a parent, your most important job is to be the best parent that you can. I have a card I received from my wife that now hangs on my bulliten board at school. The card is a constant reminder of my role as a dad. It's message is simple but powerful.

"When you teach your son, you teach your son's son."

So I encourage you to seek out information that deals with better parenting. It is a job that nobody does perfect but one in which everybody should work to do better. I added the "mvparent.com" website to my list of connection sites. Check it out if you have the time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?