Tuesday, January 09, 2007

 

Tough To Say. . . Tough to Hear


Being a head coach is tough. I don't tell you that because I want sympathy I'm just stating a fact. We have to make some tough decisions involving who should play and who shouldn't, who gets the minutes and who doesn't, who starts and who comes off the bench.

Sometimes it is cut and dry. Other times the decision is a gut feeling and often it is long thought over decision.

As a coach I understand that my views of how things should be done are sometimes much different than the players, parents and fans. I accept the fact that my decisions may not please a lot of people. I also know that my decisions also can make the player feel hurt, discouraged, or any number of different emotions along that line. That is the tough part.

Believe it or not it is hard for me to make these tough decisions. I'm sure it isn't as tough as it is for the player who finds their time cut or the one who doesn't get that starting position but it still is hard for me. One of the things I love most about coaching is building relationships with my players. Imagine how much work needs to be done in a relationship when you have to tell the other person they can't have what they want.

I totally understand if a player is frustrated by my decision. I also think it is normal for them to be angry at the decision and at me. I hope they feel this way because it means they care. After I make these decisions, I feel that it is now up to me to show the player that I also care.

I care if they are hurting. . .I care if they feel slighted. . .I care if they feel frustrated. . .I care about who they are as an idividual.

My greatest fear. . . Having a team who doesn't feel I care about them

So goes the battle in Bedford Falls





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?