Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

"True"


When you are in a “rebuilding” situation it is sometimes awkward to talk about the future of the program around the seniors. I would never want the seniors to feel that their last year of playing for PRHS wasn’t important so I make sure that the seniors understand the importance of their role in the whole process of “Dreaming Big and Working to WIN!”

Each senior class leaves a legacy and when it comes to judging how successful each graduating class is. . . one should first look at the example that they set for future players of the program.

After our game against Staples last week, I talked with my players about the future of girls’ basketball in Pelican Rapids. As I was explaining the importance of the effort that players like Sarah Voigt and Katie Mattern are giving our program night in and night out, I could just tell that the players were really skeptical of my words.

However, I was totally serious. Players generally know when you are giving them a “line” so I strive to be truthful with my players. Every once and a while you have to prove to them that you mean what you are saying. To assure the girls that I was being “true” to them, I talked to them about the boys’ program

The beginning of the success of the boys basketball team over the last few years (Conference and Section Championship type success) can be traced back to three young men who never were able to achieve a championship of their own.

Brady Tollerud, Joe Johnson and Jordan Otteson deserve a big “Hoo Hah!” for what they did for the boys’ program. These three young men were the first to understand that success doesn’t just come to a person but instead a person needs to pursue success.

QUICK HISTORY LESSON:

When Rex Haugen retired from coaching the boys program the proverbial cupboard was pretty bare. Coach Strand had a couple decent seasons to begin his career in Pelican Rapids but the talent pool was running low.

Coach Strand worked his tail off to convince potential players that they needed to follow the “Golden Rule” of sports:

- - - Being athletic isn’t enough. . . an athlete must work extremely hard to perfect the skills of the game if they want to achieve their dreams.---

Tollerud, Johnson and Otteson were Strands first “converts” and I was a first hand witness to the hours they spent pursuing the “dream”.

These three players did not finish with medals around their neck but they earned something more. Something much, much more. . . They earned the right to say that they led the way. . . They set the standard for future players follow. . .
I hope these three young men are proud of their high school careers. I think of them often and hope they know I, for one, am very proud of who they are and what they did.

My hope this year is that the efforts of players like Katie Matterna and Sarah Voigt will inspire future players to Dream Big. . . and Work to WIN! There is no doubt in my mind that they have set a great example and I am proud to be their coach.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?