Thursday, March 08, 2007

 

"You Got A Friend"

The end of a season can really put a coach in a melancholy mood.

Part of it is the fact that you have poured your heart and soul into the season and then “wham” it’s over. . . it hits so quickly and I get almost a ‘lost puppy’ type feeling as I don’t really know what to do or where to go.

Another big part of this gentle sadness is the fact that you are losing seniors that you have been soooooooo close to over the years. It is a part of the job that doesn’t get easier no matter how many senior classes graduate.

This year I once again have to not only say good-bye to some great seniors but I am again losing an assistant coach.

Karissa “Mo $” Evenson is moving on to the bright lights of the Twin Cities. “Mo” really stepped up to the plate the last two years and filled in as an assistant when there was no one on the teaching staff who could or would. “Mo” is a former player who was attending Concordia over the past three years and made a huge commitment to our program by driving back and forth to Moorhead to coach. She is also a special part of my family’s life as she has become a daughter to Sue and I and a big sister to my boys. She stepped up at a time when the program was in need and for that I will always be grateful.

One of the joys of coaching is the relationships you do develop with your assistant coaches. You spend a lot of time together on and off the court and you pretty much become family.

Over the years I have had the pleasure to coach with a lot of great people but I have also had to deal with the loss of some great friends as for one reason or another their life path led them away from Pelican Rapids. Even though they made a big impact on my life when they were here the emptiness that I feel at times is just as great.

James Taylors song “You Got a Friend” does a great job of relaying the feelings that I have for my past players and past coaching companions. I posted the video of the song for those who want to listen to it but I will also give you the lyrics to read.

Dave Rund, Brian Bordwell, Michelle Grinstead, Rich Hills, & Mo. . . I love you man!

“You Got A Friend” by James Taylor

When you're down and troubled
and you need a helping hand
and nothing, whoa nothing is going right.

Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
and you know where ever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
to see you again.

Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.

If the sky above you
should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
and soon I will be knocking upon your door.

You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
all you got to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?

People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, don't you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all you've got to do is call.

Lord, I'll be there, yes I will.
You've got a friend.
You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
You've got a friend.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?