Thursday, November 15, 2007

 

A Letter From Coach

My program is currently experiencing a basketball player shortage. We barely have enough players to play a b-squad schedule and we may offer the opportunity to 7th and 8th graders to play on c-squad starting in January.

Here are my numbers:

7th grade - nine players (okay numbers but it is nice to have at least 10)
8th grade - seven players (really had to work hard to keep #6 & #7 playing!)
9th grade – four players(we had five to start the season but one decided to retire.)
10th grade – three players
11th grade – four players (one may be out for the year with a knee injury)
12th grade – two players

I've been doing a lot of soul-searching this past week. I think it is important to self analyze. All coaches need to constantly look at who they are and what they stand. You need to look at what you do and how it is effecting your program so that you can make the needed changes. I did a lot of self analyzing after our one win season a few years back and I learned a lot. I made some major mistakes but out of those mistakes I have become a better coach. So when I look at my current challenge I have come to the conclusion that I am a big reason for the lack of numbers.

I know that there are other reasons, besides myself, for our low numbers. . . I coach in a very ethnically diverse school and the cultures of many of the groups that now reside in our school don’t put a high emphasis on women competing in sports. In my sixteen years in Pelican Rapids I have yet to see a Hispanic, Somalian, Bosnian, etc. . . girl stay on the team beyond 10th grade. We are basically a 1A school if you would subtract this population from our enrollment. (not an complaint, just a reality)

Another big factor is the success of our dance team. Dance is a very attractive activity for young girls and that program has definitely hurt our numbers much more than our gymnastic teams ever did. The dance team has a great coach who works hard and as a result she has attracted a number of athletes that could have been successful on the hard court.

So there are "outside" factors that have impacted this current shortage but I know I am a part of the low numbers issue. I look at my high expectations as a big reason players to drop out of the program.

I know, just like almost every coach, you will be able to find people in our community that will tell you that they know of girls that have quit my program because they think I’m not a very good coach, to put it nicely, but that’s the rap that you sometimes take as a coach but I always feel that quiting a sport because you don't like a particular coach is really a weak excuse.

You are going to come across people through out your life that you may not particularly care too much about but you will have to find a way to work for them or with them. If a coach causes you to quit the player probably didn't care enough about the sport in the first place. Not liking the coach is sometimes a convenient excuse.

Back to my expectations. . .I composed the following letter to go out to players who are contemplating quiting basketball. . .

---------------------------------------------

A letter from coach:

I hear that you are thinking about quitting basketball. They tell me you are no longer excited about the game and you have told your friends and parents that it is no longer fun. Before you make this decision, because I really feel it is a MAJOR decision, I want you to know a little more about my thoughts on sports and my program.

I know I ask a lot of the players that participate in my basketball program. I understand that this is a huge commitment to make and that there are a lot of “fun” things that you could do with your time. I know that I ask more of my players, in the off season, than any other girls’ sports team in our school and I understand it takes a big chunk out of your busy life.

In fact, the only program that asks for a bigger “off-season” time commitment is the boys’ basketball program. Fulfilling these expectations does call for individual sacrifices. However, when something calls for sacrifice you need to look beyond the here-and-now and you also must really consider the word “REWARDING”.

Making a commitment to my program will provide you with the habits and skills for future success!

You are going to be challenged in this program. You are going to be asked to “Dream Big and Work to Win”! You will learn to persevere. . . to meet obstacles and find a way to get around them or through them. You will be asked to find a positive way to thrive no matter what your status is as a player. I know this will not always be “fun” but if you stick with the program and give your best effort it will be one of the most REWARDING things you do in high school.

To be successful you will have to make a powerful commitment to this relationship. There will be opportunities for you to do things that are more “fun” but by challenging yourself you will learn a value system strong enough to carry you through life.

Here are some values that I am offering:
•Respect – I will ask you to respect the game and team by showing up for practice on time, by asking you to make choices between fun and commitment, and by asking you to work hard not for yourself but for the team.

•Discipline – Learning the discipline it takes to succeed in basketball will teach you how hard you have to work to succeed elsewhere. Success doesn’t mean you have to be the start, success means you became the best you could be.

•Perspective – Basketball will have incredible highs and some tough lows. . . I will help you understand that what matters is the journey, not the moment.

•Responsibility – Abiding by the rules set for the team and fulfilling the expectation that you work on your game in the off-season all help you understand the importance of being a part of an organization.

•Selflessness – We work hard to create a “team-first” atmosphere. Our slogan is “Our Team” and we emblazon the letters O.T. on much of our practice gear. We also talk a lot about being a “family” and making sacrifices for the benefit of the group.

•Resiliency – As mentioned early, we will help you learn how to handle adversity. There will be many opportunities where you will have to be resilient in hoops. . . be it an injury, a loss, missing a shot or getting yelled at. . . all of these situations will help you learn how to cope, how to let go off the past and look to the future.

I guess I could ask less of you as a player but I would only be letting down those players who are benefiting so much from being a part of a program that asks them to test their character.

I believe sports are a great way to help you discover what you really can do if you set your mind and body in motion.

I am offering you this chance. If you chose to accept this challenge the “REWARDS” will be lifelong.

I also want you to know that I truly love the players that make this commitment to the program. I feel a debt of gratitude to those that have come through and worked so hard for themselves and the program. Because of this I hope the girls who pass through this program know that I will be there to help them in times of need. The same will be true for you. . . if you chose to stay and play!

Be Strong, Stay Strong

Coach Bruggeman





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?